Specialist Dental Training
Through Skåne Care, non-European dentists with a governmental sponsorship can earn a specialist certificate from the public dental care authority within clinical training.
In a highly structured training program, international and Swedish dentists are educated side-by-side with dentistry professionals and researchers. The program is regulated by the National Board of Health and Welfare and follows the guidelines for the equivalent training of Swedish dentists. All training occurs at public dental clinics.
Mastering Swedish is vital to gain the most from clinical training – and for dentists and their families to integrate more smoothly into society. Swedish is a requirement for patient contact, which is why international dentists start their training with a language course. Inside and outside the dental clinics, however, you will encounter a variety of cultures. More than 160 nationalities live in Skåne with 100 languages spoken. Proficient English is spoken with ease.
Through the program, every dentist:
- Receives an individually designed curriculum following the Swedish model.
- Can study for a full specialist dental training in 3 years.
- Earns a certificate issued by Folktandvården Skåne and the National Board of Health and Welfare upon successful completion of training.
- Begins a 12-18 month introduction course upon arrival with Swedish language training.
- Has access to relocation support, including help with finding a home, local orientation, and settling-in services.
- Has dedicated support on a day-to-day basis from Skåne Care.
Read more about our Specialist Training Areas