our training programmes
Enhance your skills
Skåne Care offers tailored training and educational programmes to individuals and institutions in treatments, operational methods, diagnostics, and patient safety.
Region Skåne is home to one of the largest independent clinical skills training centres in Europe, the Practicum Clinical Skills Centre, which is accredited by the Network of Accredited Skills Centers in Europe as well as the American College of Surgeons.
We also work closely with academic partners like Lund University and Malmö University. Lund University, founded in 1666, is the only Swedish member of two reknown international networks – the League of European Research Universities (LERU) and Universitas 21. The Faculty of Medicine performs clinical research and education in close cooperation with Skåne University Hospital. Malmö University is an active hub for research, education, and innovation that benefit our global society. Modern and international, the university’s research is often multidisciplinary and in collaboration with external partners.
- Training in Skåne or at your local institution.
- Support in developing your training programmes and clinical skills training centres.
- Short clinical practices.
- Multi-year programmes like specialist medical training.
- Healthcare management training.
Our specialist medical training programme for international doctors
Study a specialty in Skåne
Through Skåne Care, non-European doctors, with a governmental sponsorship can earn a specialist certificate from public health authorities within clinical training. In a highly structured training programme, 1,000 international and Swedish doctors are educated side-by-side with healthcare professionals and researchers. The programme is regulated by the National Board of Health and Welfare follows the guidelines for the equivalent training of Swedish doctors. All training occurs at university hospitals and public training hospitals.
Mastering Swedish is vital to gain the most from clinical training – and for doctors and their families to integrate more smoothly into society. Swedish is a requirement for patient contact, which is why international doctors start their training with a language course. Inside and outside the hospital, however, you will encounter a variety of cultures. More than 160 nationalities live in Skåne with 100 languages spoken. Proficient English is spoken with ease.
Doctors that are interested in PhD programs apply trough the Faculty of Medicine at Lund University.
Through the programme, every doctor:
- Receives an individually designed curriculum following the Swedish model.
- Can study for a full specialist medical training in 5 years and/or complete a sub-specialty training fellowship of minimum 2 years.
- Earns a certificate issued by Skåne University Hospital upon successful completion of training.
- Begins a one-year introduction course upon arrival, including Swedish language training and clinical introduction.
- Has access to relocation support, including help with finding a home, local orientation, and settling-in services.
- Has dedicated support on a day-to-day basis through our international office at Skåne University Hospital.